Just around the road, the village of Beaumont de Pertuis pops up, anchored on its hill. Situated extremely southeast of the department of Vaucluse and Luberon, this village is apart from the others.
The first reference about Beaumont dates back to 1079, Baùmoun in Provencal means “cave” (referring to the Cave of Saint Eucher). It is certain that this hermit did went to a cave overhanging La Durance (his papers proves it).
Thanks to its large area, protected by the hills, and the franchises (rights or privileges) that the villagers obtained skillfully from their numerous Lords, the village was called for a long time Beaumont-les-Nobles.
The history of Beaumont is marked by many earthquakes, but the most violent was the one in March 1812.
The residents are called “beaumontais”.
- The mossy fountain,
- The church of Saint Jean-Baptiste, the fortifications, the numerous fountains, the artists and handicraftsman,
- The chapel of Notre-Dame de Beauvoir,
- The 7 lakes and the Aillade lake.
In May, do not miss the festival “Les Sons du Lub’”…
The fountain in the “Rue du Portail Matheron”
Double semicircular fountain, decorated with a laurel crown, dating to 1838. All the fountains of the village were built in the same period, with similar materials (yellowish tint limestone) and the barrels are in cast iron.
The “Place de la Colonne”
The column fountain: leaning on its massif pedestal, notice the 4 cast iron tritons. It gave the name to this place.
On the left of the church, original house decorated with cicadas, lion’s head, pigeon etc. Generally called the “Disney house”, this is the work of a passionate villager. The romanesque church of Saint Jean-Baptiste: it is built during the XIth century in the heart of the village, rare location for the period since the churches were outside the city because of the lack of place.
After the earthquake in 1708, the south half-side of the building collapsed, crushing the oil mill and the municipal oven. Inside, it is the retable museum. We can see 5 beautiful retables: the had been got out few days before the collapse.
The former castle
The former castle of Beaumont was built on the location of the 2 terraces at the top of the staircases. It was destroyed in 1970. Its underground rooms are accessible by the nearby cellars.
The “Tête de Diable”
Going down the street of the church, find on your left the cul-de-sac that leads to the north: at the top of a door, a devil’s small head with beard and sharp ears (molding of a Romanic sculpture that was in the church before the earthquake).
The “Place Gilbert Plat”
Gilbert Plat is the CEO and founder of the Regional Natural Park of Luberon. Very pleasant place below the church, enjoy the little fountain decorated with pilasters.
The “Fontaine Basse”
The low fountain has the peculiarity of being a washhouse under a vault. It is fed with water thanks to the black hole that we can see in the ceiling of the vault.
The chapel of Notre-Dame de Beauvoir
It is the first building that we meet while entering the village by the Mirabeau road. The chapel was built in the second half of the XIth century by the monks of the abbey Saint-Victor in Marseille. In 2008, during a restoration construction site, a fresco of approximately 60m² is discovered. It represents the life of Jesus and must be the older fresco known in Provence. The inside access is forbidden because the restoration is not finished.
The mossy fountain and the washhouse
A gutter built behind the wall of the fountain feeds the washhouse situated under a vault, nearby.
The washhouse consists of 2 ovoid ponds and 2 draining bars. The tub in the back was used for the rinsing.
The hermitage of Sainte-Croix
This pilgrimage chapel was built in the XIIth century, at the top of the hill overhanging the village at 516 meters of altitude. This hermitage was closed at the beginning of the XVIIIth century. The hermit is a person, often a monk, who chooses a spiritual life with solitude and meditation.
A giant iron cross stands in front of the chapel. It dominates the village with its height and its size.
The 7 lakes
The seven lakes on Durance are artificial and was created during the construction of the hydroelectric dam of Cadarache.
Natural reserve labeled Natura 2000 and situated at the edge of Durance, the 7 lakes form a unique zone for the region with various “states” of water particularly interesting for the avifauna. Pebbles and swamps allow the nesting of numerous birds (example: the purple heron) or the wintering (example: the big cormorant). The place is also an important migration path (example: the black stork).
The access is possible by the D4096 between Mirabeau and Corbières, almost in front of the intersection with Beaumont-de-Pertuis (D122). At the sign “Usine EDF”, pass under a small bridge and cross the bridge of the A51 highway. The 7 lakes are on the other side of the highway…
The lake of L’Aillade
Open from 1st February to 30 November, from 7:30AM to 7PM every day except on Tuesday. Arranged for the fishing without licence from Wednesday to Monday, the weekends and holidays. Trout and carp fishing. Possibility for picnic near the lake, snack bar and refreshment room. The fish is directly released in front of you.
To find the lake, take the direction of Pierrevert by the D198, after almost 1km find a small sign on your right indicating the “lac de l’Aillade”. Road not tarred near the lake.
Rent of fishing rods available.
Enjoy a hiking from Beaumont de Pertuis. More detail here (10 km – 2h30).
Village centre, Mountain view, View over the vineyards,
Geographic perimeter :