Download the map of Sannes (only in French) not to miss anything.
In the middle of a universe marked by the proud presence of vineyards, almost invisible, Sannes is one of the smaller villages of Luberon: only 177 inhabitants. Near the top of Luberon (the “Mourre Nègre”, 1225 m), the view over the mountain is superb.
The village is constituted by scattered farms establishing small hamlets, grouped around a church like many other villages in Provence. An important Gallo-Roman necropolis discovered at the south-east of its territory attests an ancient occupation. A beautiful sarcophagus made by marble, dated to IVth century, was found in the Chapel of Saint Pierre and is now exposed at the Museum of Apt.
The main attraction of Sannes is not really the historical discover of the village, that possesses a little cultural heritage, but it is connected to its location in the middle of vineyards and fields of cherry trees, near the Pond of La Bonde.
- Saint Pierre Roman Chapel,
- The Windmill,
- The Feudal Hillock of Castellas.
1. The School-City Hall
2. The Cemetery
3. Saint Pierre Chapel
Near the road D27 that connects the Pond of La Bonde to Cucuron and perched on a hill, is located a quiet chapel dedicated to Saint Pierre.
This rural priory dates to XIIth or XIIIth century. It was abandoned from 1341. In 1620, its chapel in ruins is restored, and even enlarged later in the XVIIIth century. Transformed to cowshed during the Revolution, it was nevertheless returned to the cult in 1856, then again restored in 1879.
The appellation of Saint Pierre appears only in 1045, at the same time that the first mention of the village.
The hamlet of Roque-Colombe is located aside the roads and is constituted by a series of houses and barns.
5. The Feudal Hillock of Castellas
Sannes is essentially formed by small valleys oriented to the south and separated by vineyards. On the North-West, a hill tops out the hamlet of Castellas, the highest point of Sannes (around 350m of altitude). This summit is crowned by an elegant bunch of pines that we can see from far away.
Also called the “Château-Vieux” (the Old Castle), at Castellas no paper reports the existence of a feudal castle " Castrum Acianae " here, but only a simple guard tower built on its summit.
The occupation of the site probably did not last further the XIIth century. No vestige remains here.
6. Gallo-Roman Necropolis
After works of ploughings or foundations, one dug up from the ground vestiges which allow to consider that it is on this place that was the biggest villa of the region. Other remains prove this hypothesis, like a necropolis (grouping of monumental graves or graves separated from places of cult) containing 24 funeral urns, incineration pits containing furniture, vestiges of walls, pieces of Roman tiles and numerous amphoras that allows to assume there was a small vicus (modest agglomeration), as well as the discovery of a sarcophagus of marble stored formerly inside the chapel Saint Pierre situated in border of an ancient Roman road and which is still visible at the museum of Apt.
The discovery of moneys dating to the Roman emperor Domitien situates its existence between the Irst and IInd century. No vestige remains here.
"Near the summit of the Luberon, the view on the mountain is magnificent"
7. The Domain of the Castle and the Windmill
Detached house built in the XVIIth century by Jean de Thibaud de Tisati and embellished later by his son Melchior who transformed it to manor house. The façade shows a beautiful porch with Tuscany bays as well as casement window. Around the residence, a small chapel is built in 1661, then a terrace and “French-style” gardens will decorate the place. Beginning of XVIIIth century, thanks to the marriage of the daughter of Melchior with Antoine de Saqui, the domain is ornamented with the monogram of the two families: SS for Saqui-Sannes.
Nowadays this place is private and visits are not allowed. Nevertheless, by the road, you can observe a magnificent windmill restored recently.
8. The Cherry Trees
In Sannes are cultivated cherries having Geographic Indication Protected: “Cerises du Ventoux”. Worth knowing that the cherry of Ventoux is characterized by its production in the zone of the hillsides of Ventoux, by its optimal maturity picking and by its minimum average size guaranteed in 24 mm.
In the country, Lake 5 km away, Mountain view, View over the vineyards,
Geographic perimeter :