"Former fiefdom of the Order of the Knights Templar"
Download the map of the village here.
To halt in La Bastide des Jourdans, it is in fact to stay in the junction of the Basse and Haute-Provence. The stones of past, artists and craftsmen of the present will offer you a beautiful afternoon of discoveries.
Overhung by the vestiges of a XIIIth century castle, date when the village was founded by the Count of Forcalquier, La Bastide des Jourdans owes its name to Guillaume and Pierre JOURDAN whose their patronymic was connected to the place “Bastida” which means rural fortification.
The two knights were designed by the Count to establish on this territory a tollbooth for the traders circulating between Forcalquier and Aix-en-Provence.
Numerous tracks of the past give to the fortified village, perched at 428m of height, a particular charm.
In the surroundings, pleasant hikes offer you a walk in the middle of magnificent landscape.
- The chapel of Notre-Dame de Consolation, XVIth century (classified as Historic Monument),
- The belfry of the XVIIth century,
- The church of Notre-Dame et Saint Pierre-aux-Liens of the XIIIth century, you can demand the key at the workshop of “Nicole de la Bastide”.
The “Cavalerie” mentioned for the first in 1176 had some properties in La Tour d’Aigues, Lauris and other many villages… The report of the arrest of four Knight Templars who were there in 1308 shows the wealth of the chapel of " Notre-Dame of the Cavalry of Limaye ". After the dissolution of the order of the Temple, most of the properties which belonged to them were given to another military order: the “Hospitaliers de Saint Jean de Jerusalem”.
In the XVIIIth century, it is a hermit community (with strict rules) that settled there. The brothers lived off the land and worked in the silence and the poverty. During the Revolution, the domain was seized and nationalized. Then, in the unoccupied buildings, the new owners settled an agricultural orphanage which looked like more a penitentiary than to an orphanage, they will be expelled from it in 1880.
Today, discover a place full of history, classified as Historic Monuments, restored and enriched by the furniture. Visit on reservation lony: 04 90 77 85 40.
1. The South Path (Walk Idea)
Duration: 30 minutes. Marked path (in green) through the surrounding countryside. Start from the War memorial (n°1) by going down the “Rue du Pradon”. Or start from the Chapel Notre-Dame de Consolation (n°11). Attractive view over the village.
Otherwise to follow the historic circuit, take the “Rue de la Bourgade” and turn right on the “Place de l’église”. Spot the marking. Follow the red numbers.
2. The Church of Saint Pierre aux Liens
Its offset position compared with the old village is understandable by the habit to build churches outside the ramparts, because inside there was limited room (from the XIth century, the housing becomes grouped, perched and fortified). Villages take refuge near the castles that protect them. The medieval city is organized around churches and seigneurial fortresses. The population is agglutinated there because the space is rare.
Built in the XIIIth century with a nave of three spans and pointed barrel vaults. In 1343, addition of a side chapel in the North and a bell tower with three bays. Around 1500, construction of a side chapel in the South, then between 1672 and 1674, construction of the north aisle by the masons Jean Delestic and Michel Féraud.
3. “Porte Ravel”
It was one of the four entrances of the village and was situated in the second fortification in the XVIth century. No vestiges here.
4. “Hospice de Route”
Built in the XIIIth century, it is here that the taxes were taken from the travelers and traders who went through it with their mules charged of foodstuffs. In the XIVth century, the villagers transformed it into an oven.
5. The Lower Fountain
The washhouse has 3 basins, benches for beat the linen and a bar to hang it. It dates to 1558 (restauration in 1671). Until the Revolution, Font-Vielle was the only water source of the village. The water comes from the groundwater under the ravine of the wood.
6. “Porte Grognette”
This is here that the first gate of the first rampart was situated, in the XIVth century.
7. The Castle
In 1236, the Count of Forcalquier donates the castle in favor of his vassals Pierre and Guillaume Jourdan.
In 1388, the castle served as a refuge to a third party of the population who did not find a place in the fortified village in case of danger. An inventory made in 1555 gives the image of a poor building which kept its dimension and its medieval structure. The base of the round tower and its north and west walls, date to the original castle (XIIIth century, the one of the Jourdan brothers).
The square tower and the main building are from the end of the XIVth century and the beginning of XVth century. From 1530 till 1790, the families of Astouard and Coriolis succeed one another and embellish the construction. Last Lord Joseph DE CORIOLIS dies in 1784.
At the end of XIXth century, it is bought by a notary and painter (ancestor of the actual owner) who restores it in its current form
To access to the “Fontaine de la Jeanne” (n°8), take on your left the “Impasse de la Jeanne” just after the house number 10 of the street.
8. “Fontaine de la Jeanne”
The fountain is built around 1793 and comes probably from the gardens of the castle. The statue is magnificent (the local Venus de Milo) and, in the background, a half-timbered house (with a wooden structure, this technique, known in Antiquity, was used in France from the Middle Ages until XIXth century). Since the XVIIth century and during all the XIXth century, the wooden facades were plastered in order to give a more luxury and modern aspect.
9. House of the ate XVth century
Originally, built outside the village, this notable’s house was estimated at 1500 florins while the other constructions of this period were estimated at 100 florins…
10. “Porte Notre Dame”
Dating to XVIth century, it was built during the edification of the second fortification. No vestiges here.
11. Chapel Notre-Dame de Consolation
It appeared around 1520, then was vandalized, and rebuilt in 1650.
The chapel is situated at the intersection of 3 roads. The door dates to the XVIIth century, framed by two pilasters surmounted by a corniche (this structure is close to the one of some private hotels of the same period). In the XVIIIth century, the inside decor is renovated, the whole choir and nave receives a homogeneous decoration of forgery-marble. On the forecourt, the calvary also dates to the XVIIIth century.
The Chapel is classified as Historic Monument since 1942.
12. “Porte Saint Luc”
Dating to the XVIth century, it was built during the construction of the second fortification. It ends the “Rue du Cléda” that was lined by water mills at this period. No vestiges here.
13. The Crossroad
This passage was covered until the half of the XIXth century. The roads went to the direction of Forcalquier, Manosque and Aix-en-Provence.
14. The Old Presbytery
The old presbytery was situated at the number 4 of the street, in a house dating to XVIIth century. Spot the porch topped with a fronton with volutes (motive for ornamentation, constituted by a rolling-up in spirals). Opposite, a porch with pilasters with rounded opening. The fronton is decorated with a stone sculpture representing a fruit basket. It is here that the “dime” was collected (tax on the products of land and the breeding).
15. The Bell Tower / Belfry
The belfry is built on top of the butte of the Serret (meaning “little butte”). Tower constructed between 1620 and 1632 to shelter the bells of the parish and the communal clock, because the isolated position of the church did not allow to hear them. The campanile of the XIXth century is perched on top of the tower (18m height). The belfry is constituted by a spiral staircase on the ground floor, 4 bays in semicircular arch on the first floor and a second floor under attics where is the mechanism of the municipal clock.
16. “Fontaine de Fiol (Filhol)”
Built in the middle of the XIXth century, at the same time as the fountain situated on the Place of the Republic.
17. “Porte de Fiol” and its basin
It was one of the gates of the village (vestige of the rampart bounding the village). It maintains its arch topped by 4 consoles and is surmounted by the blazon of the village (silver wolf). Outside, a beautiful statue represents a young girl seats on her buffet d’eau. Sculpture by the Academy of the Fine Arts in 1937.
18. Notre-Dame des Amandiers
The 3 ogive windows on the side of the Place of the Republic are the only tracks of a strange story.
Around 1860, the priest of the village found the church too obsolate, too wet and too far away from the new district. He buys a terrain (along the Cours) on his own and decides to construct a new church. To finance the project, the priest creates a nursery of 80 000 almond trees and begins the trade. The monument is half built when the construction stops because of the lack of money. Unfortunately, the priest Rigaud does not found more money and the stones are sold and the façade is integrated to the castle of Pradines (Grambois).
19. “Place de la République”
The columned fountain and its republican bust date to the XIXth century.
All year round, daily.
Village centre, Mountain view, View over the vineyards,
Geographic perimeter :