Find the map of la Tour d'Aigues here (only in French).
Situated at the edge of the small river L’Eze, La Tour d’Aigues will enchant you thanks to its natural and exceptional surrounding and its numerous vineyards. Enjoy the charm and the beauty of La Tour d’Aigues to discover particularly its small streets, its church and its château Renaissance.
The residents are called “tourains”.
The traditional market takes place every Tuesday mornings, on the place facing the Château.
- The château Renaissance, classified as Historic Monuments since 1984,
- The chapel of Saint Christrophe,
- The church of Notre-Dame de Romegas,
- The washhouse,
- The treasures of the historical center,
- The Luberon Côté Sud tourist office is located in the vestiges of the château. Take all the information about the area. Tel: 04 90 07 50 29 and mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. "Rue des Grands Fours"
Former gate of the ramparts, open to facilitate the traffic.
On the right, you can see a door topped with balusters taken from the ruins of the château, after the Revolution (1792). The monument had been abandoned and became a stony career for the villagers.
2. The City Hall
The entrance, formed by a large arch, leads to a closed court: it is a former convent situated inside a priory serving as accommodation for 5 canons.
The priory was sold as a national asset in 1791, date when the city hall was settled. Nowadays, every building is used for the city hall on the right side and for priest’s accommodations on the left side. Before, the church and the priory were outside the village, the expansion of this one then included them.
3. Notre Dame de Romegas Roman Catholic Church
“Romegas” is from the Latin word “rumex” meaning “intrusive herbaceous plant”.
Referred since 1096, nothing remained from this period. The choir of the church, reserved for the members of the clergy, is facing East in the direction of Jerusalem. 3 stained-glass windows represent the symbol of the trinity.
*Particularity: the funeral belt (black band on the walls of the Nave), was painted after the death of one of the lord of La Tour d’Aigues in order to express the mourning of the village. It is very rare to find one still visible. In the first south chapel (XIIIth century), there is a sculptured stone group: “the entombment”. The majority of the furniture (wooden statures, paintings, pulpit…) dates back to the XVIIth century, like the sacristy. The pyramidion was restored in 2014 with the plans and the original methods of construction, by the carpenters Compagnons settled in the village.
4. Church Square
This is in fact the place of the former cemetery. Originally, it was outside the village and situated at the south of the church.
Follow the direction of “Rue d’Eole”, at the end of the place, opposite of the church.
5. The Old Village
This part of the village was already present during the medieval period. The houses on the right were built like a line of the ramparts that bounded the city.
6. “Rue d’Eole”
“Eole” refers to the Greek god of wind. This designation seems logical since the street is very windy (gate of the circular ramparts and infiltration of the wind). But in fact, this is a deformation of the Provençal word “Oulo” meaning “cooking pot”, because we are in the former street of potters’ workshop.
7. The Rampart Gate
Bounders of the village until the XIVth century, period of the expansion outside the ramparts. The gate is in poor condition but we can still see the marks of the original railings of protection.
Go down “Rue de la Brèche”.
8. The Stairs
They date back to the medieval period and offered access to the house. Below, the stables for the animals (1 or 2 goats, 1 donkey, hardly more).
Take “Rue des Grands Fours” (on the left).
9. The Oratories
Niche containing a statuette representing a religious figure. Situated often on the corner of the streets to protect two passing at the same time (against the plague, the epidemics or other disasters). These niches, or their statues, have been widely degraded and/or stolen during the Revolution.
10. Mullioned Windows
Big windows cut in 2 or 4 because the former techniques did not allow to create big windows, or stained-glass windows for the richest. For the poorest, openings were often made impervious thanks to greased animals skins put on frames equipped with oiled paper. They date back to the XVIth century : end of medieval period, beggining of the Renaissance (Renaissance = search for the light).
At the first intersection, look on your right.
11. “Rue du Portail Romieu”
Street that goes down, always in shadow thus often frozen and slippery during winter: nicknamed “Rue du Rompe Cue” (street that breaks butt). Also named street of the gate because it leads to a former gate opened on the ramparts (destroyed nowadays).
Take “Rue du Vieux Château”.
12. Heart of the First Built Village
Sheltered the first castle, called " Tour de Béranger " in the XIth century (wooden construction). Maybe it was only one tower? The buildings are rounded because they followed the fortifications and the shape of the rock (better visibility and easier to defend. Ramparts disappeared for 2 reasons: the enlargements and the appearance of the big firearms (artillery). The ramparts were not enough. The first village occupied a strategic position, overhanging the Valley of Eze on the West and built on a natural barrier (cliff), offering an excellent visibility for the watchmen. The new and actual château dates to the XIIIth century, built around a squared tower called “romaine”, doubtless a tower of passage for the payment of the granting (contribution collected by the city in the import of goods.).
Take “Rue de la chapelle”.
13. Former Chapel of the Penitents
It sheltered the white penitents (brotherhood created by Henri III in 1585, called the "Whites Beaten" too because they beat themselves by humility: auto-whipping). The penitents were religious or laymen, men or women, and had the vocation to organize good works. They divided their actions to take care of poor or sick people, of prisoners... The Chapel was destroyed in XVIIIth/XIXth centuries because it was vacant and collapsed.
14. Beautiful Façade
Beautiful façade with magnificent ornaments. The house was once property of a family arising from the nobility from Aix en Provence : Estière du Bourgais.
To notice too, the other side of the façade, on "Place du Château".
15. La Burliaire Gate
Nobody knows the exact meaning of this name, only suppositions are made in reference maybe to the games that took place on the place of the château. The word “Boulerie” meant “ball game” during the medieval period.
16. Other Side of the Façade
Not any ornaments on the beautiful façade of this house, because the Lord who lived in the château at this period (Des Lesdiguières family) forbidden the construction in order to not compete with the ornaments of his magnificent entrance gate. Constrained by this request, the house is thus decorated on the other side.
Enjoy a hiking from the Chapel of Saint Christophe. More details here (14,5 km – 4h).
All year round, daily.
Mountain view, Lake 5 km away, River 5 km away, View over the vineyards,
Geographic perimeter :