Cucuron, named second favourite place to live in the Luberon Park, just behind Gordes!
Source : Luberon.fr
In the heart of the Luberon Regional Natural Park, this charming town has a lot of things going for it, including its ramparts, tower doors, belfry and dungeon. So many places to discover by simply going on a stroll in the old town, which was chosen as the setting for the 1995 film Le hussard sur le toit (The Horseman on the Roof).
Marking : yellow (PR) and white red (GR9)
Recommended departure point: Cours Pourrière (opposite the Tourist Office)
Return trip to the Chapel at point 4 : 1h - 2 km
Climb more than 480 metres on the heights of Cucuron to discover the Ermitage and Notre-Dame de Beauvoir chapels, overlooking Aigues valley since the 18th century. At the beginning, a simple shrine of pilgrimage, a brotherhood built a hermitage ...
1. From the tourist office, at the «L’étang» (pond) intersection, continue in the direction of the Ermitage Chapel. Go back on the Course Pourrières. On the left, you will see Cucuron’s historic centre, take a look at the pond’s gate and the washing place.
2. Turn right and go up the basin of the pond, taking advantage of the shade of 200 year-old plane trees forming a truly green cathedral. Go up Rue du Bernard du Roure, passing the town hall, school and sports field. At the intersection, turn left on
the Ermitage path for 700 metres.
3. At the “l’Ermitage” intersection, go in the direction of the Ermitage Chapel. At the barrier, turn left on the small path and follow the signs saying «La Chapelle». Climb the path to the summit to admire a beautiful panoramic view of the Aigues
Valley and the Luberon. Take care of your ankles during the ascent!
4. Pass in front of the Ermitage Chapel to reach a forest track, which you can go along for 1.5 kilometres.
5. At the crossing (Chemin de l’Ermitage on the sign) turn left, then immediately left again to leave the forest track and down the small trail for 1.8 kilometres. Follow on the main path, passing a building in ruins, go between the two rocks and continue on the left path. Further on, leave the path that goes on the right to take the path that descends into the broom shrubs and
join the paved road.
6. Turn left to join the previously seen «Ermitage» intersection and take the direction of Cucuron to go downtown with the same route you took at the beginning. Go back by the sports field, school and town hall. Go along the pond’s basin, turn left to go down Cours Pourrières and return to the tourist office.
For the braves !
Possibility to join the Mourre Negro (Summit of Luberon 1125m) by the Glacière valley. Add 600m of vertical drop and 11 km
All year round.